Who We Are – Our Mission
The Peru Global Outreach Program is a non-profit organization partnered with the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine. We are a growing and diverse group of college students, medical students, physician residents, and physicians who share a common interest in international health and the wellbeing of all inhabitants of our planet. We are mothers, fathers, daughters, sons, brothers, sisters, and friends all striving to bring health and wellness to as many individuals as we can, at home and abroad.
Starting in Autumn of 2009, MSUCOM students began their annual sojourn to the South American country of Peru. Organized by Dr. Gary Willyerd, D.O. Associate Dean of the DMC campus of MSUCOM, the 2016 trip will mark the ninth straight.
The goal of the mission trip is setting up a free health clinic to provide basic healthcare and education to a number of Peruvians. The healthcare provided is primary care-oriented. We make an effort to incorporate all aspects of medicine by bringing physicians from a wide range of specialties and backgrounds: family medicine, pediatrics, emergency medicine, Osteopathic manipulative medicine (OMM), dermatology, obstetrics and gynecology, podiatry, and internal medicine.
To learn more about this year’s trip, please visit our 2017 trip page.
- Patients treated: Over 9,000
- Medications and supplies delivered: Greater than $1,000,000 worth
- Medical student alumni: 167
- Physician specialties represented: Dermatology, ENT, OB/GYN, OMT, Family Medicine, ER, IM, Pediatrics
- Abstracts written to date: 37
- MSU Medical Scholar participation: Since the class of 2012
- Organizations involved: Peace Core, Rotary International, Church of Latter Day Saints of Jesus Christ, Catholic Church, DOCARE International